Friday, July 10, 2015

Post Apocalypse Fire Sale Tomorrow!






























Tomorrow Saturday July 11 at the Santa Fe Farmers' Market

We just finished harvesting most of the bruised Chard and Kale and made giant bunches for tomorrow's Farmers Market.  This is super nitrogen charged food, blessed by the heavens and harvested with great humility and gratitude.

Come visit us at our booth near the water tower and get a free hug!




















This morning, the summer squash are already full of flowers and our beloved bees are hard at work pollinating.
Thank you for all the messages of love and support we received!  It helped us quickly weather the shock of our garden being creamed by a hailstorm. 

The best message we got was from Brian, a friend, neighbor and dedicated volunteer.


Boy howdy, what a storm. As if one round wasn't enough. I was under the cover of the back patio when it hit. The patio is roofed with cheap tin so the racket was movie theater intense. I was mesmerized by the storm's ferocity and tenacity when my mind went straight to my apple tree. Protect it! 17 apples as big as golf balls. I ran to the front yard, grabbed an empty 32 gallon garbage can and positioned it over my head with one hand like a strange hat as I tried with the other hand to cover the small tree with a trash bag. I had more hail being deflected to the crack of my ass from the garbage can so I blanketed the tree with the trash bag and ran for cover. I got busy again with carpentry and it wasn't til this morning that I walked the front garden landscape and saw the damage. The tree was OK but not the other plants. Then I came inside and read your email.

Farming to you folks must seem like doing penance. I was raised Catholic and penance is good action one does with the intent of making up for a past sin. Atonement. I'm not saying you farmers are sinners but you have to wonder what with your external risks like a raucous and pesty neighbor who happens to be a retired lawyer, a city administration that's not very favorable to your goals, a potential property foreclosure, and the cultural bias that puts farming a notch above gutter cleaning and gun fighting, and the internal risks like squash bugs, a shallow well, too much sun, lack of labor, and HAIL to name but a few, you must wonder when your efforts will be recognized by the benevolent gods that be. But you start thinking that way and superstition gains a foothold. And that is why I'm as much a Catholic today as my tail is residual.

What a fucking storm. I hope your hearts and motivation regenerates, that your plants regenerate as well as can be wished. It's a trite mention but keep up the fantastic work. The small community that supports and understands you obviously loves you and roots for you.

Your pal, Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment